Skip To Main Content

School History

School's History

Lafayette High School, which opened in 1939 to replace Picadome High School, was originally built with WPA federal funds. It was named for the Marquis de Lafayette, the French general who gained fame in the Revolutionary War. His family also granted the school permission to use their family coat of arms as its logo. The school building was totally renovated in 1998, and the stadium overhaul was completed in the fall of 2010.

Marquis de Lafayette

Portrait of Marquis de Lafayette